Reasons Why Organic Skin Care is Healthier
Organic skin care products are made of organic and natural ingredients
- Certified organic products are derived from plants and other naturally occurring ingredients. More importantly, those organic ingredients are grown without the use of pesticides, herbicides, synthetic fertilizers, genetically modified organisms (GMOs), and other additives or chemicals.
Non-organic skin care products usually contain harmful ingredients
- Non-organic skin care products contain synthetic chemicals such as sodium laurel, mineral oils, laureth sulphate, and toxins that could be residues of pesticides.
- Studies have also found that they can contain mineral oil, petroleum, parabens, and other chemicals that, with long term use, can cause skin damage, hormone imbalance, organ toxicity, and cancer.
Organic products are less allergenic
- Without harsh chemicals, organic skin care products are less likely to cause allergic reactions, inflammations or irritations.
Organic skin care products work better
- Plants grown organically are found to contain a higher level of vital antioxidant vitamins than non-organic plants.
- Because they are grown without herbicides and pesticides, their organic ingredients are also free from that contamination, which means the same for your skin and body.
- Moreover, up to 95% of an organic skin care product's contents are active ingredients. In synthetic skin care products, on the other hand, active ingredients only make up 5 to 10% of its contents.
Going organic is healthier for your skin.
- The synthetic ingredients found in non-organic products are usually chosen to be fast acting, but they are also invasive, causing gradual harm that cannot be seen. Their chemical ingredients may provide instant gratification and visible results, but most of these only help you aesthetically by smoothing out wrinkles, removing sunspots, and diminishing blemishes. However, with prolonged use, these chemicals may damage and weaken your skin as your body tries to cope with these foreign substances. As a result, oxygen exchange to the skin is reduced, causing premature aging and increased risk of developing sunspots.
Avoiding known and unknown carcinogenics.
- As recently reported, Johnson & Johnson was ordered to pay $72M of damages to the family of a woman whose death from ovarian cancer was linked to her use of the company’s talc-based Baby Powder and Shower to Shower for several decades. But this isn’t the only instance of a personal care products company being called out for harmful ingredients. In fact, with so many carcinogenic ingredients found in beauty products, it’s imperative to pay attention to what we buy. After all, the skin is the largest organ of the body and absorbs on average 60% of what we apply on it. As the creams, lotions, serums, etc are absorbed through the skin, they are then traveling to your bloodstream and inside the body. Studies have shown that the toxic ingredients have been found in biopsy samples from breast tumors, ovarian cancer and more!
Supporting cruelty-free skin care products.
- The beauty industry has received backlash for conducting animal testing for their chemicals to ensure that they are safe for human use.
- Using organic skin care promotes cruelty-free skin care and supports the move towards abolishing animal cruelty in the skin care industry.
Helping to preserve the environment.
- Because organic products use naturally grown ingredients that are free from toxic pesticides and fertilizers, they don't leave a harmful footprint on the planet, particularly the soil, water, and air.